Five Layers of the Human Energy Field
By Phylameana lila Desy, About.com Guide
Your human body consists of five layers of energy. The first layer is your physical body. The outer four layers of energy are commonly referred to as your aura. Collectively, these five layers or "energy bodies" are the human energy field. An energy medicine practitioner treats all layers of the human energy field, not just the physical layer.
1. The Physical Energy Body - The first layer is our physical energy body. This is the layer that we generally think of as our physical selves. But, our physical bodies are also energy, same as the other layers of the body that most people cannot see or sense on a physical level.
2. The Etheric Energy Body- The second etheric layer of our energy body is located approximately one quarter to one half an inch (not more than one inch) from the physical body. Energy medicine practitioners who are adept at psychically sensing this layer have described it as feeling "webby." Much like a spider web, it feels sticky, or stretchy. It is also grey or grey-bluish in color. The etheric energy body has also been referred to as the blueprint or holograph of the physical body.
3. The Emotional Energy Body - The emotional layer of our energy body is the third layer. Centrally located among the five layers this body is the keeper of our feelings. It is here where both our fears and jubilation's reside. This layer can be quite volatile when we are experiencing extreme high and low emotions.
4. The Mental Energy Body - It is in the mental layer where our ideas spring from. Our belief systems are also stored here. This is where our thoughts are assimilated and sorted out. In this layer our personal truths, or rather, our perceptions based on our experiences are housed.
5. The Spiritual Energy Body - The spiritual layer of the human energy field is the final layer. It has been said to be the place where our "consciousness" or "higher awareness" resides.